Pages

Friday, 5 November 2010

Time to Wake Up!

Wake up image.

Today, this blog is three years old, so it's as good a time as any to wake it up again. It's been over seven months since my last post but, do you know what? I don't feel the least bit guilty. I've stopped believing in blogging for it's own sake; there's just no time for it. When I've got something to say, I'll say it, otherwise I'll go quiet and get on with things.

I've also woken up my fiction writing hobby. For now it remains just that, a hobby. I'm staying strictly amateur with no interest in competitions nor publication. Not until I've racked up enough raw material anyway. This means the fun is back! I'm getting stuck into NaNoWriMo this month, which, at the very least, is giving one of my projects a much needed kick up the backside. Good luck to all the other Wrimos out there.

In case any of you missed it, myself and Jane Wenham-Jones have created a new web site for aspiring and established writers. When you feel like it, head over to wannabeawriter.co.uk and have a look. Feedback is very welcome.

I've noticed that many bloggers are slowing down or going quiet these days. Do you think this is a sign of the times? Have we all realised how often we spend too much time on it? Has it been superseded by other technology and/or social networks? Or is everybody just too busy writing?

7 comments:

B said...

enjoy!

as to blogging dying off, it depends where you're reading. in the ALI (adoption loss and infertility) world things are going as strong as ever.

nice to see a post from you again :)

Liane Spicer said...

Lots of blogs - including mine - are definitely slowing down. I know a number of dormant bloggers who are spending most of their online time on Facebook and Twitter, so I suspect that for most recreational bloggers the heyday of the blog is over.

Happy Anniversary, and good luck NaNoing!

Colette McCormick said...

I don't blog so much because I don't have the spare time and I don't do it just for the sake of doing it because that is one sure way to bore people to tears. Glad to see you back though.

janewj said...

Hello Kev! I don't read many blogs - no time but got a social alert cos you mentioned me :-)
chat later.... jx

Lane said...

Wakey wakey.

In 2008 I wrote 118 posts. This year only 20 so yes, definitely slowing down. I think many of the bloggers we originally 'knew' are slowing down but there's a lot of more recent ones who are going strong. I think as B said - it depends who you're reading.

Amanda said...

Good to see you back! :-)

Captain Black said...

B: You're probably right. I suppose it's the writing related blogging that's decreased.

Liane: Facebook and Twitter are great time stealers, aren't they? I'm glad I don't tweet much any more, otherwise I'd never get anything done.

Colette: You seem to be in the same boat as me. And thanks.

Jane: How do these social alert things work?

Lane: According to my records, I have 71 blogs on my feed list. Perhaps I'm subscribing to the wrong ones.

Amanda: Thank you.