Pages

Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Putting the Children to Bed

Image

Over the last couple of months I've been putting my babies to bed, metaphorically speaking. Like many children though, they refused to go to sleep until I'd read them each a bedtime story. I've almost completed the task now, just one of the youngest remains in need of a lullaby. It's possibly going to be a long sleep for my offspring. More like a deep-space hyper-sleep, cryogenically preserved until the interstellar ship reaches its distant goal.

What am I talking about?

The children I'm referring to are my fiction projects. One by one they've been put into long-term storage. The bedtime stories are their synopses. Yes, you read that right, the dreaded synopses. I felt it necessary to summarise them all before tucking them up. That way it will make it easier for me to wake them up again, should that time ever come.

Image

In the process I came to discover that I actually quite enjoy the process of writing synopses. Before you die of shock and horror, I should point out that these are functional synopses as opposed to marketing synopses. They are distilled outlines of the plots and characters, two-page reminders of what the stories are about. They would certainly not pass muster if used directly for submissions. For that to occur they would need much more polish.

I'm still thinking about writing some non-fiction articles, for fun rather than for profit. For now though, the fiction kiddies are heading into the land of nod.

10 comments:

Denise said...

Ahhh, soooo sweet pic of the baby lamb teddy things. (Sorry, I'll stop.)

Good idea with the summary of each. Makes it so simple to wake them up again some day soon :-)

Colette McCormick said...

Kid scan be horrors at bedtime. They always want another story. No wonder it took you a wjile to get them to sleep.

HelenMHunt said...

Aaaah. They look most comfortable.

JJ Beattie said...

Awww, so cutey, wootey, dooty... *ahem*

That's such a good idea.

Captain Black said...

Denise: I thought those pictures might cause a few "aahhhs". I hit on the idea of the summaries when I was watching the beginning of a thriller series on telly: "Previously, on 24..."

Colette: You're right. I'm also a bit nervous that they might wake up in the middle of the night.

Helen: The father is less comfortable though. And I can't afford a baby-sitter.

JJ: Aren't they just. And those pictures aren't bad either.

Annieye said...

I think you are right to consider some non-fiction, Kev. To me, writing my work related stuff keeps me going. Personally I enjoy writing fiction more, but for an unpublished fiction writer, getting something into print, even if it is day-to-day stuff, is better than nothing. Please don't put all your fiction work to bed, though. If you enjoy the writing, then just do it for yourself - for your own amusement. You don't have to sub it anywhere if you don't want to. Good idea about the summaries, though.

Captain Black said...

Annie: I think you're very much on the right lines. I've no interest in getting into print now, it's just too big a challenge for me. I'm amazed at the tenacity of others who stayed with the journey but I don't feel I can afford to put in the effort myself, now I've got a feel for the percentages involved. Fun's the only reason from now on.

Karen said...

What cute pictures! Hope they do wake up again one day, and good luck if you decide to go with the non-fiction :o)

DJ Kirkby said...

My brain stalled when I read that you liked *gasp* writing synopses.

Captain Black said...

Karen: The starship may just be closer than you think...

Denyse: Yep. I surprised myself with that one.