Pages

Wednesday, 3 June 2009

I don't often lose it, but...

Fifteen Books

There's a meme doing the rounds at the moment. Feel free to have a go. You just have to think of fifteen memorable books you've read, in fifteen minutes or less. Here are mine.

  1. Legacy of Heorot by Larry Niven, Steven Barnes & Jerry Pournelle.
  2. Five on Kirrin Island by Enid Blyton.
  3. Eye of the Needle by Ken Follet.
  4. The Krone Experiment by J Craig Wheeler.
  5. The Duelling Machine by Ben Bova.
  6. The Tommyknockers by Stephen King.
  7. Lightning by Dean Koontz.
  8. The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart.
  9. Body Rides by Richard Laymon.
  10. After the Hole by Guy Burt.
  11. Timeline by Michael Crichton.
  12. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
  13. The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.
  14. The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.
  15. Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke.

I suppose including multi-volume epics or series is against the rules, otherwise I'd have included the following:

  • The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien.
  • The Tripods by John Christoper.
  • Pandora's Star & Judas Unchained by Peter F Hamilton.
Fourth Wannabe Meeting

If you haven't already seen it, then please have a look at the Wanna Meet-Up blog. We have a proposed date!

14 comments:

Un Peu Loufoque said...

I always thought you were meant to slam the mouse down hard and that was how it worked? No? oops..

Debs said...

If mine gave up the ghost I'd probably do the same thing to it. Very satisfying.

Off to check out the links now.

HelenMHunt said...

I think you need to eat more marmite ....

Lane said...

Oh dear. That poor battered mouse. I suppose surgery is out of the question?

I have to say that I've not read one book on your list. The Wasp Factory is on my tbr pile though:-)

catdownunder said...

This is the Cat prowling in from Jane's party. I can deal with dead mice quite efficiently...and you cheated on the books. I counted more on my claws than you said - but it was a very interesting selection.

Captain Black said...

Un Peu Loufoque: I think you might be right. Perhaps that's what caused it to misbehave in the first place.

Debs: It was satisfying for those few moments, but then a bit humbling when I slunk out of the house to buy a replacement (not the same model). Still later it was worrying about how quickly and easily I reacted that way. I must take more medicine (wine).

Helen: Marmite. Now there's an idea. It will go well with my medicine.

Lane: I don't think even writing-pants surgery is going to help in this case. Perhaps if I inter it on an ancient mic-mac burial site...

Cat: You're hired. Any books in common?

battypip said...

I do feel quite sorry for your mouse, although I'm sure it asked for such harsh treatment. Did you try stroking it? :-)

Most impressed with your list of projects. One day... maybe... I'm just starting out.

Found you via the Pitch Party - what a superb idea...

Brian Clegg said...

The problem is that they called it a mouse, which only has a typical lifespan of 2 years. They should have called it a tortoise.

Jane Smith said...

Another pitch party wanderer here!

Yesterday I bought myself a nice little optical mouse (wired, not battery-powered) from Asda for about a fiver. Works well, and glows all red underneath. Very effective, and my cats have already tried to kill it.

Gillian Philip said...

My poor kids are still using their old mouse with a little rollerball underneath, the kind that gets all clogged up with hair, dust, grease and nameless horrors. You have shamed me. I shall get an optical mouse for a fiver from Asda.
Off to list my 15 books....

Captain Black said...

Battypip: It was sudden violence, I'm afraid. No stroking. Not even soothing talk. Most of my projects are in a stalled state :o/

Brian: I have now equipped myself with a tougher rodent. Perhaps it's a rat.

Jane: Don't let me near it! It sounds too much like the one I murdered.

Gillian: I remember the days of gungy roller-mice from when I used to work in IT. Optical ones work much better. Until I get hold of them, anyway.

catdownunder said...

I finally prowl back - if you are still reading this. Books in common? "The Little Prince".

motherx said...

Kevin, I never thought of you as a violent man:) see you soon!

Captain Black said...

Cat: The Little Prince is brilliant, isn't it.

MotherX: I'm not usually, but something snapped on that day. Not long until the meeting now...