Pages

Saturday, 17 January 2009

Keeping Up

After taking only a week off from blogging and other on-line activity, I was faced with the daunting prospect of catching up with over sixty blog postings and triple figures of e-mails. You are a prolific lot, you lot! I've now finally caught up and am trying to stay on top of things. It's difficult though, as the RSS feeds are coming in almost constantly.

Scotland

I recently went to visit my parents up in Kincraig, Scotland. It was extremely cold, especially on the mountain tops. Minus fifteen degrees on one occasion. I've now added a Munro, Carn na Caim, and a Corbett, Carn an Fhreicaedain, to my collection. Not that I'm really collecting them; I'm no "bagger".

I managed to do nearly 32 km of running and 2 km of swimming, in order to keep the effect of the mince pies at bay. I also tried my hand at orienteering in a nearby forest. It was fun, but I don't think I'll ever win any prizes at this sport.

The week was rounded off very nicely with a curry in Aviemore. Mine was a veg green madras, and my mum said it looked like curried mushy peas! I didn't panic though, as it had plenty of chilli in it.

Plans for 2009

This year I really mean to crack on with at least three of my many writing projects, possible at the expense of the remaining ones. I haven't picked the main three yet, but one of them will definitely be Insight, and the others will probably be my two other novels: Blood on the Rooftops and The Bridge Across Forever.

I'll also be writing and submitting some short stories. Yes, you heard me right: submitting! Something I've done far too little of in the past.

This means that some projects will be relegated to the back-burner. To be honest, they were already in a de-facto state of back-burneredness anyway, so this isn't really a big change - just an official acceptance of that fact.

I'd still like to contribute to writing blogs on an occasional basis. Things like Cloud Line, Cutting It Fine and Sally's Workshops. I hope I'll find the time to keep this promise.

Finally, a really important goal for me this year: getting a job!

Asteroid Plans

Now for some not-so-good news. There's going to be two or three further episodes of Asteroid, before I take a break from it. Don't worry, I'm not going to abandon it. I want to work on my other projects for a while and, truth to be told, I haven't written much more of Asteroid yet, other than what I've got left in the bag. I do apologise for disappointing you readers, but the story will continue later in the year.

6 comments:

HelenMHunt said...

I look forward to reading more of Asteroid in due course. I see you are reading Kate Atkinson and still eating marmite :)

liz fenwick said...

Good luck choosing what to work on!

Lane said...

'Cooking Marmite'. What a great image:-)

I'm glad we all seem to be driven to submit this year. Maybe last year (and the year before) was our practice/lead in year.

Pointy sticks ahoy:-)

CC Devine said...

Scotland sounds great and well done on all the exercise - impressive!

JJ said...

I'm sure all that running is the best way to combat the extreme cold ... but I tend to find sitting on my backside with a nice up of tea much more pleasant! ;-P

Captain Black said...

Helen: Almost finished When Will There Be Good News. I intend to eat Marmite until I die - well not quite literally.

Liz: Thank you. Good luck with your projects too.

Lane: The cooking-Marmite-smell-in-the-car was based on real experience. I once had a car heater that really did smell like that! I'd better not say "pointy sticks ahoy" in real life - people might get the wrong idea.

CC: Thanks. The exercise doesn't look quite so impressive now though.

JJ: There are other ways to combat extreme cold, but probably not mentionable here.