Pages

Saturday, 20 December 2008

Early Spring Cleaning

I've just spent the last few of days sprucing up various blogs and web sites. A bit of winter "spring" cleaning, if you like. With some know-how, I learn a little bit more about HTML, CSS and JavaScript each time, and a smidgen of luck, the results should be an improvement.

What prompted this, you may ask? Two things mainly. Firstly, I got fed up with having to repeatedly update my "other blogs & links" sections on several different blogs, each time I wanted to add a new link. So now I've centralised the repository for such information and simply put a "repeater" on each blog. This way I only have to make additions to one place.

The other reason was that the Novel Racers' blog needed some updating with regard to our achievements over the last couple of years. Not to mention the forthcoming race for 2009.

That has now got me thinking about my own achievements this year, and my goals for next year.

Achievements 2008

I don't have any official achievements to report. In other words I'm still an amateur, unpublished writer. Having said that, I'm quite pleased with what I've done. Namely:

  • Almost completed (95%) the first draft of Insight, along with my co-author.
  • Cracked on with Asteroid, after coming close to abandoning it in favour of other projects.
  • Written a total of over 100,000 words, if you add up all my projects.
  • Learned a great deal more about the craft through books, friends & colleagues and a residential course.
Goals for 2009

Despite my "sprints", I'm still struggling to keep up with all of my writing projects. I think I might have to get a bit more radical next year. This basically means that I'll probably shelve many and concentrate on the remainder. I want to:

  • Edit Insight and decide what to do with the result.
  • Focus on Blood on the Rooftops. Get that written in terms of completing the first draft.
  • Continue with Asteroid. Just for fun.

This means that The Bridge Across Forever, which was once my "main" novel, will have to take a back seat, along with the other projects.

Down Time

I may be off-line for a while, due to the festive season. In the mean time, I wish you all a Happy Easter...

...Just joking. I'll be back before then. Enjoy the Xmas and New Year celebrations everyone!

Finally

Does anyone know any good office furniture shops?

Broken chair

I seem to have a bad case of writer's bottom.

12 comments:

HelenMH said...

Happy Easter! And when would you like to spring clean my computer?

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I got my writer's chair in IKEA - a hideous experience for sure, but I love the chair. It's this one http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80074841 (there is a version with arm rests which I didn't choose because they give me RSI, but you might prefer it). I bought it in 2001 and it's still going strong. Happy festive wossnames to you too!

Captain Black said...

Helen: The best I can do for now is to offer self-spring-cleaning advice. What's the worst thing about your computer that needs attention?

Zinnia: I will check out the Ikea catalogue. I'm only going to actually visit there if I'm allowed to take my machine gun with me.

Sarah*G* said...

Just wanted to stop by to say Merry Christmas to you and I hope 2009 proves to be a great one for you!

Quillers said...

I got my chair from Ikea too (but with armrests).

Well done on all that work, Captain, and good luck for your 2009 goals.

Merry Christmas!

Captain Black said...

Sarah: Thanks. Same to you :o)

Sally: Not sure about arm rests. I don't think I'd use them. Still haven't braved Ikea yet. I hope you also meet your goals for '09.

Annieye said...

Hi Captain. I'm enjoying asteroid. I had to look up what 'albedo' meant though!

I'm not very good with links and things and the words 'spring cleaning' fill me with fear ...

Captain Black said...

Annie: Do you think readers are generally okay with looking up the odd word? I didn't want to "spoon feed" too much (show, don't tell, etc etc). I hate spring cleaning too, but sometimes it just has to be done. And not always at spring time either.

Annieye said...

I think so, Captain. I quite often have to look up words in the dictionary and I consider myself pretty literate. I don't mind looking up words at all. I don't know if other writers are the same but I often find myself browsing the dictionary anyway.

motherx said...

Happy New Year Captain! I actually have writers knees!...no luxury writing chair for me, have to sit cross legged on a cushion on floor! hope you had a great holiday. (you must keep writers bottom well hidden as I never noticed!)

CC Devine said...

Writer's bottom. Made me giggle this afternoon!

Here's to a good 2009.

Captain Black said...

CC Devine: Glad to be of service :o)