Pages

Monday, 6 October 2008

Progress

Wanna Meet Up?

It's not long now until the third in the series of meetings for the Wannabes (and Isbes). It looks like we'll be revisiting Truckles of Pied Bull Yard in London. The date has not yet been confirmed, so go over to the dedicated blog to check on things. If you are coming along and haven't yet told me what days you are available, then please leave me a comment, either here or on the above-mentioned blog.

Insight

The joint project I'm working on with Jason is progressing very well. We're now editing the main plot stream, while continuing to write the Adventure plot stream.

Public Thank-You

Many thanks to our readers of Insight. Your feedback has been fantastic. You know who you are.

Also, thanks in advance for those who are going to get later and/or different versions.

Returning the Favour

Please let us know if you want us to read your works. We are not expert published authors (yet), but we're avid readers and would like to help.

Sprints

I've finally found a way of working on my multiple concurrent projects. For some time I've been struggling with too many things on the go at the same time. Consequently, and perhaps not surprisingly, all of them suffered: either inching forward at glacial speed, or halting all together. The only exception to this was Insight, where I have the luxury of a co-author to kick me up the proverbial.

The answer is to have one or two week sprints, where I concentrate on one project only for that time (Insight excepted). This means that I get sufficient immersion in the project during the sprint, for a good flow and therefore significant output. It also means that the other projects do not fall behind as much, since their turn will come up in the cycle after a few weeks.

The last couple of weeks I concentrated on Asteroid, and I now have quite a bit of that "in the bag". This allows me to concentrate on other projects for several weeks, yet still release the instalments on this blog.

This week and probably the next week, I'll be working on Blood on the Rooftops - my crime novel. I also resurrected an old novel: Driller, but only because I wanted to re-use a piece I wrote for Jo's Weekly Workout.

Do you have any tips and tricks for boosting progress with writing? In any case, I wish you all good luck with it.

4 comments:

HelenMH said...

You sound so organised with your writing plans. I am most jealous!

Lane said...

Agree with Helen. You are most organised!

I like Telephones piece. Is that a reworked version of the piece you submitted to Jo or am I getting confused. Easily done:-)

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I like your idea of the sprint cycle. My only tip for boosting writing progress is to keep churning the damn words out!

Captain Black said...

Helen: If only the rest of my life were so organised...

Lane: The piece I submitted for Jo's Workout was actually Lights Out. Telephones is the next bit in Ronnie's part of the story.

Zinnia: Too right. Despite my organisational techniques, there are too many days when I don't write enough. Or even at all.