Pages

Tuesday, 21 October 2008

NRP

Novel Racers' Publications

What's that thing at the top of my blog? I hear you ask. Some of you will know that I've been doing some work on a blog gadget that lists all of the publications from the Novel Racers and their friends.

If you would like to put this gadget on your own blog, then you'll find full information on my web site.

Award and Meme From Sally
Award from Sally. Thank you.
  1. Where is your cell phone? Charging. I think it might need a new battery.
  2. Where is your significant other? In my imagination.
  3. Your hair colour? Be serious.
  4. Your mother? Travelling in Asia.
  5. Your father? See above.
  6. Your favourite thing? Damn good Sci-Fi.
  7. Your dream last night? Can't remember.
  8. Your dream/goal? To reduce my workload to a single project. Maybe even finish and publish some of them.
  9. The room you're in? Badly in need of redecorating.
  10. Your hobby? Reading, writing, running and sometimes arithmetic.
  11. Your fear? Stupid people in power.
  12. Where do you want to be in 6 years? At a book signing for my umpteenth novel.
  13. Where were you last night? Watching abysmal TV programmes.
  14. What you're not? As good at IT as people think I am.
  15. One of your wish-list items? One of those tiny portable PCs.
  16. Where you grew up? Cheshire.
  17. The last thing you did? Answered question sixteen.
  18. What are you wearing? A smile.
  19. Your TV? Ancient 4:3. Switched off.
  20. Your pets? Don't have any.
  21. Your computer? Limping lap-top.
  22. Your mood? Lazy.
  23. Missing someone? Not telling.
  24. Your car? No idea. Sold it years ago.
  25. Something you're not wearing? Bra. Not today anyway.
  26. Favourite store? Off-license.
  27. Your summer? Was there one? I must have missed it. Must have been a Thursday.
  28. Love someone? Always.
  29. Your favourite colour? Ridiculous question. Black of course.
  30. When was the last time you laughed? Yesterday. Jack Dee (repeat) on TV.
  31. Last time you cried? Probably too long ago. I bottle things up, you see.

I hereby pass this award and meme on to Calistro.

A Comma Conundrum

Finally, following on from last week's Commas and Conjunctions subject, how would you punctuate the following sentence (in red)?

A man was painting a sign outside a pub. The owner came outside to have a look. Seeing what the painter had done, she said: "You haven't left enough space between George and and and and and and Dragon."

9 comments:

Leatherdykeuk said...

Super widget, Cap'n!

Leatherdykeuk said...

One too many 'and's for me to cope with. I am made of fail.

Caroline said...

"You haven't left enough space between 'George' and 'and' and 'and' and 'Dragon'."

Extra 'and' removed ;o)

HelenMH said...

Great answers to the meme. Re the commas - you're just being naughty now!

Quillers said...

Love the meme answers, Captain!

Re the punctuation conundrum, what Caroline said (well it sounds right to me).

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I was just going to put a comma after the second 'and', but maybe that's too minimalist...

I tried putting the gadget on my blog, but it came up with all the grey bit and text, not just the book covers to scroll through and click on. Am I doing something daft? (Probably... sigh...)

Calistro said...

Thanks for the tag but I just did it!

Captain Black said...

Rachel: Thanks. You could still try the flickr option. Sorry about all those "and"s.

Caroline: Spot on. You're good at this grammar malarkey.

Helen: That was a bit contrived, wasn't it? Naughty but nice.

Sally: You started it! Well, I think you did anyway.

Zinnia: I like the minimalist answer too. Let the reader do all the work. Try the gadget again and leave it there even if it's not correct. I'll have a look at the code to see if I can spot what's wrong.

Cally (soon to be published one): Not sure where the one-word-per-answer restriction came in. My version wasn't like that.

wordtryst said...

Love the widget, Cap'n!