Pages

Friday, 26 September 2008

What Have I Been Up To?

Some of my friends' recent blog postings have asked questions such as: Do you write to a time limit, or a word-count limit? and How much time do you spend reading and writing? This has prompted me to do a bit of self-analysis with regard to how I manage my time.

Since March 2008 I've been recording most of the time I spend on writing related things, though I haven't recorded time spent reading. Perhaps I should have done. Anyway, here is the breakdown.

Activities pie chart

As you can see, I'm spending far too much of my time blogging! The chart does not include everything in my day, just the writing and job-hunting related activities. The red one definitely needs to be increased.

Here is the breakdown by project.

Projects pie chart

I was a bit surprised at how much time I've spent on the Kim & Mark story (it's on Cloud Line if you want to read it), which is slowly becoming a novella in size. My co-writing project is the clear winner, with my other two novels in equal third place.

I should probably put Kim & Mark to bed soon (no - not a squidge alert), so that I can concentrate on the novels.

So, what have I learned from this exercise?

  • Find a job.
  • Reduce the amount of time spent on blogging and e-mails.
  • Focus less on the blog stories and more on the novels.
  • Continue writing and editing Insight with Jason. Full first draft is due to be finished in early February 2009.
  • Do not start any more projects!

How do you spend your writing time? Do you think this kind of analysis would benefit you too?

5 comments:

ChrisH said...

Hmn, interesting stuff... I think my blogging slice is too large at the moment too. My writing slice is rather slim-line so I don't think I dare do the same analysis as you as it would probably confirm my fears.

HelenMH said...

I love your pie charts. I am way too disorganised to do anything like that - which is maybe the root of some of my problems. I'm sure my blogging slice would be alarming though! I'm loving Asteroid, it has a very cinematic quality I feel.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I'm not sure an analysis like that would benefit me. Which leads me to suspect that it probably would.

motherx said...

I dont even get decent blogging time as lap top keeps hissing out on me...nothing works in this house! Im writing long hand, so have so much to type out...aaah! Asteroid is really gripping. (when I can get to read it!)

Captain Black said...

ChrisH: "Lose the fear!" (an eXtreme Programming mantra). You never really understand something until you measure it.

HelenMH: See above :o) Thanks for reading Asteroid. Hopefully it's not too much of a B movie.

Zinnia: It's amazing how the process of analysis sometimes changes the results. Hopefully for the better.

MotherX: Sorry to hear about your laptop. Mine's getting on a bit now too. Gulp. Glad you're liking Asteroid.