Pages

Tuesday, 15 July 2008

Ding!

I love it when this happens. It's a big part of what being a writer is all about. You go back and read over the text for a project that you've put aside for a while. Then it happens: Ding!

That "light bulb" moment when you get a brainwave. A really good idea about how to move the project forward, or resolve those tricky issues. Then you're all fired-up and wanting to get stuck-in to the project once again.

I'd not done any work on Blood On The Rooftops for ages, but after being totally enthused by the recent Novel Racers' meeting, I read over it again today. I've now thought of a great way to tell one of the main threads of the story: via a blog diary that the police find when investigating a murder. I'm going to try to put the diary in as part of the book, thereby letting the reader "discover" clues to the crime as the detective does.

One good thing about this is that I can stick to single POV first-person. At least for this thread anyway. So that partly solves my "head-jumping" issue as well.

The bad news is that what I've written so far is in third-person, so I'm going to have to re-work it all. Oh well, it'll keep me out of the pub for a while. As if.

Any one else had any brainwaves recently?

9 comments:

Lane said...

Glad you've had a 'ding'! moment.

I've had some brainwaves recently but totally unrelated to the w-i-p:-(

As for changing the POV, I've just discovered there's more to it than just going through changing all the verbs. Half way through my first draft I thought I'd try the 1st person present. Now I'm in the middle of changing it all back to 3rd past. I may need a stiff drink:-)

SpiralSkies said...

Mostly just my brain waving goodbye... sigh...

Glad to hear your noggin is performing so well!

Annieye said...

I hope you have many more brainwaves to come Captain - and can share some with me in Wales!

CC Devine said...

I love it when these moments happen! Alas I have also experienced Lane's problem with changing the POV and then deciding to change it back again!

Great to meet you on Saturday!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Yes, but sadly not about writing. I love those 'ding' moments too.

motherx said...

Great news about your DING!! I had one aswell and have began writing the sequel to my other story. Hate to say this though but its proving much harder...Im determind though and thats half the battle. I even had a DING when I went around the corner shop. The ending of story just flashed before my eyes on the busy horn lane!!

HelenMH said...

I've just rewritten an entire short story into past tense from present. That wasn't as easy as I thought it would be either, but that may just be my mind being a bit foggy ...

Dumdad said...

It's a bugger that present tense or past tense, first person or third person decision. Some years back I wrote a novel (unpublished, of course) and having written it in present tense decided it didn't sound right and rewrote it into the past tense. And then on reflection thought...aaaargh!

Graeme K Talboys said...

The only ding my lightbulbs make are when the element burns out. :-( Glad yours was a good one.