Pages

Wednesday, 13 February 2008

Proposal: A Writing Methodology Series

(or That Writing Timetable Thingy I was going to do)

For some time now I've been fermenting some ideas for a writing methodology. This has been fuelled more recently by frustrations with the lack of discipline I'm experiencing with my writing. If you feel you might be in the same boat, then please read on...

I got to thinking, why is the discipline missing from this aspect of my life when I'm quite well-organised about other things? I came up with the following answers, none of which are complete but all of which contribute to the issue.

  • There are too many unknowns. For example: How long is a particular piece going to take? How much research should I do? How much time a week should I spend on it?
  • Rightly or wrongly, the writing often takes a lower priority than other activities in my life.
  • I'm too easily distracted.
  • I'm working on too many projects concurrently. This means that some of them are, in truth, being neglected.

So now I think it's time to do something about it. What I'm proposing to do is to devise a writing methodology and to present it here on this blog. It's not a trivial undertaking and so I am asking for your help. You don't have to do any writing up and posting of the material but your feedback will be essential.

What do you think? A good idea, or just another distraction?

4 comments:

Lane said...

It's a good idea. Do it! We can give you all the feedback you need.

I've found focus to be my biggest weakness. Focussing on the rewrite of the novel is hard because 1) there are no guarantees it will ever see the light of day 2) it gets no feedback and 3) it may well be crap and a waste of time and 4) there are no dealines.

So, work out your writing priorities and devise a timetable.
We'll provide the feedback (and pointy stick of course:-)

motherx said...

It could be a good idea as you sound like te kind of person that likes to plan. Or you could just choose the project that is giving you the most enjoyment to write at the moment and concentrate on one at a time. Whatever you do I hope it helps.

Annieye said...

I'll have a think tomorrow. Got tomorrow off owing to my quirky hours of work.

Debs said...

Sounds like a good idea to me. I have too many projects on the go right now but am slowly working through them.