Pages

Friday, 18 January 2008

Meme (coz it's all me me :o)

What's the last thing you wrote?Apart from this blog posting, a short story, just under 1,900 words.
Was it any good?I like to think so. My five reviewers all said they liked it (and gave useful feedback too).
What's the first thing you ever wrote that you still have?Some poems, circa 1982.
Write poetry?See above. I've also written a few last year.
Favourite genre of writing?I like mixed genre stories involving thriller, crime, adventure and sci-fi elements. Ah heck, why not throw in some romance as well?
Most fun character you ever wrote?A very dark and disturbed bomber in Blood On The Rooftops. They're not much fun but it was fun to write.
Most annoying character you ever wrote?Richard Michaelson in Fugue In D Minus. He's too straight-laced and he likes statistics!
Best plot you ever wrote?Not sure but probably the one for Blood On The Rooftops.
Coolest plot twist you ever wrote?I quite like the one in my recent short story but I still have lots in the pipeline.
How often do you get Writers block?Not often but I very frequently get writers cramp (slowing down). Oh and writers bottom.
Write fan fiction?Yes. Working on some now with a friend. Novel length!
Do you type or write by hand?Type. Can't even read my own handwriting.
Do you save everything you write?Yes. And back it up. Hard drives can fail you know. If I've made you nervous then back up your work right now!
Do you ever go back to an old idea long after you abandoned it?Certainly. The Wild One's Hideout was started (on paper - didn't have a computer then) back in the 80s.
What's your favourite thing that you've written?So far I'd have to say The Bridge Across Forever.
What's everyone else's favourite thing that you've written?You'll have to ask them that. Fugue In D Minus is not that well written (imho) but some people has said they liked the plot.
Do you even show people your work?Some of my work but by no means all of it.
Did you ever write a novel?Two in progress at the moment, plus one on the back-burner.
Ever written romance or teen angsty drama?No, though there are smatterings of romance in some of my stories.
How many writing projects are you working on right now?Four. Two novels and two shorts.
Do you want to write for a living?Not seriously, no. I would like to get published but I'm under no illusions. I need a job besides writing.
Have you ever won an award for your writing?No.
Ever written something in script or play format?No. Wouldn't mind trying though. Perhaps one day.
Do you ever write based on yourself?That would be telling. Show don't tell, remember?
What character that you've written most resembles yourself?See above.
Do you ever write based on your dreams?No, but I find myself writing about my characters' dreams.
Do you favour happy endings, sad endings, or cliff-hangers?I like all three. Depends on the piece and whether there is going to be a sequel or not.
Have you ever written based on an artwork you've seen?No. If I were to do that, it would probably be something weird like Salvador Dali.
Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?Nah. Just get the story down and then check it later.
Ever write something entirely in chatspeak? (How r u?)Only on my phone. Or when taking the piss.
Entirely in L337?Never. I get called geek often enough without that.
Was that question completely appalling and un-writer like?I wouldn't know.
Does music help you write?Depends on choice but it can help or distract according to volume, complexity, familiarity etc.
Quote something you've written. The first thing to pop into your mind."Looking around I noticed that the weather was still perfect. No sign of any thunderstorm."

Thanks to GonnaB for that. I now tag Mercedes...

3 comments:

Lane said...

Nice answers Captain. I keep putting this meme off. It's so long I'm a little scared:-)

I like the grid thing you've done it in. Very clever. Almost as clever as having four projects on the go!

Annieye said...

Did you intend "back up your work" to leap up and hit me between the eyes?

I have now downloaded three-quarters edited book plus most recent short story onto dongle stick! (Thank you Cap'n)

I think you underestimate yourself Cap'n. I've read your work and it's unique and very readable - loved Hoody! Methinks that the Cap'n needs a swift kick up the a***e to get something sent out!

Lane? Do you still have legendary pointy stick?

Gonna be a writer said...

Good answers