Pages

Tuesday, 6 November 2007

Bring Back the Vowel, I Say!

I think the problem may have started with Kwik Save - anyone remember those shops? - and other such deliberate misspellings. Are we now on a downward spiral toward illiteracy? Next came the CamelWords. You know, those words that are AllJoinedTogetherWithMixedCase. I blame the IT industry for that one (I'm certainly guilty of some of that myself). Mobile phones have all but eradicated the use of the vowel now. What I don't understand is why this is still the case? With predictive texting capabilities, and let's face it only the most ancient phones can't do this - there is no need to use the abbreviations! Finally, the biggest culprit of all: The internet. omg lol rofl... afaik thrs no nd 2 wrt lk ths. Ur kool & gr8 2 yr m8s bt imho a w8st'v tm. If the above 'sentence' slowed you down, then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. There's got to be something wrong with deliberately choosing to mutate the English language in this way. Or am I just a snob?

1 comment:

Annieye said...

I always text properly and have a normal ring tone on my phone. Kids laugh at me and change ringtone whenever they get hold of my phone.

Agree with you totally. How can we expect kids to spell when we use Kwiksave etc?